Thursday, June 30, 2005

What a day! I mean what a bloody day. Have you ever had one of those days where everything is just great until you realise that there is something important which you have completely forgotten to do, something which will cause you immense amounts of stress and something which puts whole projects in jeopardy??? Well that was today for me. I was in the office and working on getting some paperwork finalised for this summer's mission trips. I hate paper work but in general it was going okay and I had everything that I needed and as I said, things were peachy. So I called into Gladys's office. Gladys had just come back from her vacation, an Alaskan cruise, and I wanted to welcome her back and find out how she had got on up there. I should also point out that Gladys is the fountain of all church administrative knowledge and very much keeps me right in all things administrative including deadlines, bills and general business stuff. So I get into her office and we are chatting through her trip and she asks me how things are going for the mission trip and I tell her they are well and that everything, including the paper work is finally coming through. It is at this point that she looks at me and asks if I have sent in the bus insurance forms. Every year before we go on a mission trip we are supposed to send in the destination and numbers information to our insurance people two weeks before the departure date of the trip. We are leaving for our first trip on Sunday, two working days away. To be frank and crude -I almost sh*t myself on the spot and plucked up the courage to tell her that I had forgotten to do it. My heart began to beat harder and faster as the panic and realisation of the possible consequences of this particular brainfart set in. It could happen that the insurance people will not let us go because they have not had their two weeks notice(though they are never that rushed when you need information or the settlement check!!!) I think for the next hour or so while I sorted it all out, I was in a daze, I could not hold a conversation because this was all that was running through my head. To cut a long story short, I got the information and Gladys remained very calm - the break has done her good. We faxed it off to them and hopefully it will all come through tomorrow or Friday that we are good to go on our first of the summer mission trips.

Today was also Pauline's last day with us in the USA. Tomorrow, she begins her journey back to Belfast and back to normal life. I don't think it is setting into us all yet that she is actually leaving us tomorrow. Margaret was with her for some time today as she came round to say goodbye to her and Eva. When Pauline was going, Margaret was saying good bye as if we are going to see her tomorrow or next week or something. It really is weird. I had to remind Margaret that this was goodbye for now and that she needed to give Polly a hug!!! Quite funny in a way but in another way, completely reflective of how Pauline has become very much a part of our lives and family here in Port St Lucie. Personally, I am going to miss her so much. Pauline told me the other day that I was the one who knew her most and knew her best over here - I was really privileged to be that person for her during her stay here. But, and there is always a big hairy butt, it should be stated that apart from Margaret, Pauline is the one who knew me best and knew me most over the last year and as such I have always been able to consider her very close and receive very easily the wisdom of her words and actions. The future holds much for Pauline Joanne Watt, I am convinced of it. She will be a mighty warrior in and for the Kingdom of God and I for one, will always be right there with her applauding her every move for Him.

Now this would not be a blog during the Lions Tour to New Zealand if I did not make some comment about the latest from NZ. Woodward announced his selection for the second test this weekend and made a massive 7 changes to the squad from the last game. I must say that I am very glad to see that the two Irish boys are the second row partnership, this is a good move by SCW. I am though somewhat befuddled by the selection of Thompson at hooker. Now don't get me wrong I am not an advocate of picking Shane Byrne again after his disastrous display last week but I hardly think that Thompson will create anything more spectacular in the lineout. My choice at hooker would have been to give Bulloch a chance and have Thompson on the bench. Byrne should have been dropped completely. The back row is interesting in that I thought Martyn Williams would have got a run out over Lewis Moody who has not shown us anything on this tour. Though to be fair to the selectors, Williams has not done that much either. At half back, I must once again say how upset I am with the choices and ask what it is that Cusiter and Hodgson have to do to get their chance in a test match. Jonny Wilkinson was one of the few decent players last week and as such is deserving of having retained his place in the team, but I do feel sorry for Charlie Hodgson, he has not put a foot wrong on this tour and I reckon he could do alright in the test. It is not that I think he is better than Wilkinson, in fact Wilkinson's all round game is much better than Charlie's, it's just that somewhere in my heart I still believe in earning things on merit and Charlie's merit is deserving of his chance. The only other cock up I think SCW has made is the continued inclusion of Jason Robinson. Now Jason is a brother of mine in Jesus and I like that, but his playing of late has been crap. I cannot believe that he has been selected. I understand why Thomas was moved in to the centre (though I think Greenwood could have done the job at 13) but I cannot belive that Robinson remains on the wing. He could have picked Murphy or Horgan or Hickie to play at wing, even Cueto could have had his chance!!!!!!!! Either way the side is picked now and again I wish them all the best, however I want it to be known that I cannot see them doing the All Blacks over at all. I can see this series being a whitewash.

Today Eva has had her second day of being awake a lot during day light hours. I know I keep saying this but everyday something new happens. Today she was able to grab onto a toy fish on her swinger and she has been guzzling 5oz of milk at a time. She drinks lots and she drinks fast - a chip of the old block eh???? She is still beautiful and was very brave as she said good bye to Pauline.

Fatherhood is wonderful - being able to look down on this wee baby and know that she is flesh of my flesh and blood of my blood is just a huge moving thought for me. I have been taking time to tell her things as I hold her in my arms each day - you know, fatherly advice and all that. I tell her that she is never to be afraid of anyone or anything or to let herself be put down by other people. I tell her that I hope she always knows how loved she is by Jesus and by us her parents. I tell her I love her over and over again as I kiss her wee head. I tell her that she can do anything and to never underestimate herself or her dreams. I tell her that I will always look out for her and protect her and provide her with everything I can and as much love as she can take. Strange that she might not understand the words I am saying to her each time I start talking, but somehow I think she gets it.

Blessings

Charlie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baby Eva has made Charlie such a sap! How wonderful!