I don't know how to write tonight but I know I must.
It is 2:19am and I should be fast asleep but I am not and cannot. Today I sat in a situation and listened as people cast their judgment and disapproval upon a situation. I cannot go into the details of that situation, only to say that all involved claim to be followers of Christ. As I lie here unable to sleep it is that which is bothering me and unsettling my heart - that these "followers of Christ" would involve themselves in such a tirade of judgment and abuse upon one person.
Jesus once was involved in a similar situation. In John 8, a woman has been 'caught in the act' of adultery and is brought to the temple where Jesus is by a bunch of Pharisee's - they are trying to test Jesus. They explain the situation and ask him what should be done because according to the Mosaic Law, she should be stoned (death by stoning!!!). In this situation Jesus bent down and started drawing on the ground and as they continued to test and question him. He then stood up and said that whichever of the m en that brought was without sin, they should cast the first stone. Slowly they all dispersed, one by one and Jesus ministered to the woman.
Today felt like a similar situation, a group of people gathering in judgment of a situation that they know very little about and deciding that what they think is right and that their opinion should be cast upon the victim - regtardless of what that victim has been through or is feeling. What it was his afternoon was simply modern day phariseism.
It just hurts me that as "Christian's", these folks were more interested in casting judgment than actually following the teaching and example of Jesus. It hurts deep and that's why I cannot sleep. All that this person needed today was a little bit of love and acceptance and all they got was bitterness and judgment. As I sat with them during the tirade of abuse, my heart was simply breaking. I think the other thing that is making me unable to sleep is that I simply sat there and let it happen. In a way, my silence was as bad as the actions and words of the modern day pharisees.
I want to say sorry. Sorry to the person involved - sorry that I did not have the balls to stand up for them and for Christ in that situation.
It is just so infuriating that people continue to be like this in life. As someone who feels the call to minister to and teach folks in the Church, I wonder how many people like this I will work with in the future and how I will react to their phariseism. Will I take the lesson from today and find the words like Jesus did to gently rebuke? Or will I continue to sit in silence. Tonight as I write this I want to state that I hope I will never sit in silence. Today I let some people away with what was simply and purely judgment and abuse of another human being. It was not fair and it was not right. Tonight I am saying that I will not let that happen again, and I pray that I will always be given words of wisdom and grace in order to speak into situations like that.
When are we going to get it that being a Christian is about love, grace, forgiveness and acceptance? When are we going to get that it is not about us or our precious stuff? When are we going to lay our selfish pride down and start living for Jesus and the others that he has put around us. Make no mistake folks, a life given to Christ has to be a life given to Christ, in every situation nomatter how close to home or how much it hurts. It seems that we take Christ when we want him and that is simply not good enough. I know how hard it can be to walk with him, goodness knows how much I let him down day by day. But we have to stop pulling out the Christian card when it suits us. Our Christian ID card should not be kept in our wallets and only brought out when we want in somewhere. It should be boldly worn and displayed in our hearts so that yes, we can get in to those places we want to go into (being accepted by the Christian crowd) but also that we can suffer the shame and humiliation that sometimes has to be suffered by admitting we are followers of Christ. Tonight I am putting my card on my heart and saying aloud that, I am not ashamed of the Gospel or of Jesus. Tonight I am saying that it is no longer enough for me to sit in silence as others are abused by the modern day pharisee's around me.
If you are a follower of Christ, how about joining me?
Blessings
Monday, July 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I read what you wrote and just had to comment. I only know of you from my familiy and this page, but I can tell that you truly follow the teachings of Jesus. Remember, that we are all growing and learning. People often speak not knowing what it is like to have walked in someone else's shoes. You may not have spoken because the time was not right. Words spoken in anger are often not taken to heart by others. Do not carry guilt. Forgive yourself and those who spoke thoughtlessly, then when the oppurtunity arises for you to give a lesson about judging others, do so with an open heart. muzzie Amanda's grandmother
Charlie, i don't know what situation that was. But, I am pretty sure it happened with my team on the trip. I just want to say, that it really spoke to me, and this... I think was the biggest lesson God taught me on this trip, to always claim Him, no matter what. And not only claim His name but to do everything for His glory, and in His image. So, thank you for writing this blog. I thank God that He allowed you to write this.
love, Bailey
Post a Comment