It's time for another mission trip blog.
Since last Tuesday I have taken my time driving from place to place to see all of the youth that are on mission trip. I have managed to see all of them bar three. Last I told you was that I had seen Bailey, Asa, Molly and Megan. Since then I have called with Doug, Amanda, Diane, Chelsea and Grant. Before I tell you about them, I want to update you on Bailey's team situation.
We called with them on Friday night just after they had had their dinner to see how things were. I am really happy to report that they had been able to draw some of their own boundaries in terms of behaviour at their drop in and were regaining control. The tirades of verbal abuse have ceased as far as I know and they are finally starting to make some head way with the kids they are working with in terms of sharing faith. She told me a story of how she had left a team mates bible on the couch inside the drop in and another team mate caught the youth reading it and was bale to talk through some of it with them and eventually pray with them. Things are tough some times but the fact that God is bigger than it all never changes. Bailey's team handled things well but your commitment to read this and pray for them had a massive part in things turning round.
On Friday, I set out to call in with Diane, Chelsea, Caite and Grant. Unfortunately, I was only able to see Diane this day. It seems that her team are doing very well and providing a real service to the youth of the community they are in. They are also seeing many of their prayers answered as a team. She seemed extremely happy to be on the team and they all seemed very happy to see her.
On Saturday, I got a call from Doug (using a team mates cell phone)asking if he could borrow my guitar as he was leading worship on Sunday night. Naturally, I said it was not a problem and arranged to see him that night to drop off the guitar. When we got to him, his team were watching a movie together (Saturday was their day off). Doug came out and chatted with us for a while and was able to tell us that he is enjoying himself and that his team are seeing some really cool things happening. He told of one young woman, who is not familiar to the youth ministry team of the church they are at, and how she stayed behind after drop in one night and prayed with the team. Their teen drop in ministry is their main event each day but the team go to a local park each day and play football (soccer) with some local youth. Doug Gifford is playing football - he admits he is not good but apparently the local kids let him away with a lot because he is American. Doug really seems to be flourishing and is having the time of his life. He has come a long way since I met the shy little guy that played guitar at praise band, I am very proud of Dougie - I am proud of them all.
Yesterday, I drove with Eva to see Amanda in Killyleagh. We chatted for a while and she told me that though it had taken her a day or two to get in 'mission trip' mode, she felt that she was now there and was really sensing the presence of God in all her and the team were doing. They are involved in a kids camp in the mornings and then a teen drop in at nights. She is getting on well with her team and was able to share some cool stories of how she is being used by God in the lives of local teens.
Today, I managed to see Chelsea and Grant. Chelsea and her team seemed to get along very, very well and I had a lot of fun talking to them all. Chelsea was telling of how much she was enjoying herself and some of the things that they have been getting up to. They have also been running a kids club in the morning and a teens drop in during the evenings. They asked the local parish church if they could lead a service for the youth they have been working with and they were told they could do this on Sunday night. Chelsea gave the message and by all accounts did extremely well. This team has had a great impact on their locality with some young people praying with them to receive Christ as lord. It was very exciting for me to listen to this coming from Chelsea. I know that for one reason and another the journey towards making this trip was a very difficult one for her in particular and so it pleases me a lot to see that she is enjoying some success and learning much.
Grant is also part of a team, that has gelled extremely well. Today saw the start of their kids club and I walked in on their debriefing afterwards. They apparently had an amazing morning with 59 kids showing up. Grant was sharing some of the stuff that has been going on. Their drop in has been tough for reasons similar to Bailey's situation but they also seem to have got things under control and are building good relationships with local youth.
I have two calls to make tomorrow with Caite and Erika and then on Thursday with Mike Burns. Hopefully tomorrow I will remember that I have a camera and actually take it and will have some pictures for you to peruse. In the mean time, pray hard for these guys and all their friends that are on Summerserve. These last few days will be extremely tiring and they will all have to dig deep to make it through physically and emotionally. Pray hard for them. You can be proud of your kids - they have thrown themselves into everything they are asked to do and have made me extremely proud. This trip will have been life changing for them - I hope that all who read this will see that. My prayer is that this trip will begin something in all your lives that will continue and grow for years to come and that First United Methodist Church of Port St Lucie, Florida will continue to send out missionaries all over the world.
Blessings
Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hi Charlie,
let's touch base I e-mailed you at hot mail but got returned let's talk early next week
when is a good time? sent you an e-mail via Margarets e-mail
talk to you soon barbarian
Rich
I'm glad to hear that Bailey's team is gaining ground. I've really been thinking alot about her this week. And I can't wait to hear more about the service the group Chelsea is serving on put together. I smiled at your prayer for them...mine has been, since before they left, that they come home with a joy and excitement and new feel for how DAILY God is. How much a part of every bit of life He guides and wants to hold for us, if we'd let Him. I think you and I have the same prayer :)
Love you and your redheaded wife...
Post a Comment